• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

[Help] bad mileage

Well some days ago I ride over flood, the water level was as high as front brake piston... and looks like my carb was filled with water because when I opened the throttle, the engine would suddenly die. On the next day I opened and cleaned the carb, and packed everything back to its place when I'm done. The engine run smoother than it used to be, I can ride with over rev without hearing any annoying sound from engine... well it was a really surprise. But then I found that my bike get a bad mileage, 1 litre only fit enough for 30 km :( (it used to get enough form 45-50km).

What's wrong? Did I do something wrong to accelerator pump? TPS? Help!

FYI, I use Shell Super with oktan 92

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
probably you have misconfigured the jettings/air fuel mixture of the carburetor...
(im not a real mechanic... planning to be one..)

Well you're right.. I used to set to the default air screw 1-5/8 open, looks like it's too big for my bike now, so I change to 1-4/8... and everthing's going back well.

Thanks.

MioBikerBoyz

Super Veteran
I'm starting to get bad mileage now...bike has already done about 5,436kms and is going to be serviced at 7000kms. But should I rejett the carbs and tune the tappet settings?

MioBikerBoyz

Super Veteran
How are NGK spark plugs? Any good for our Spark 135s? If I want to change the air filter, I guess I should get an aftermarket brand instead of stock huh?

Glowplug

Veteran
NGK is good but here there are fake NGK going around, so I'm more on Denso just to be safe, for the air filter go for the stock because it is a match to the carb. After market looks nice but somehow it alters the A/F mix

BARUA

Super Veteran
do not use iridium type spark plug if our carb not setting yet..coz if you do so u find this plug give lean reading of spark plug.mean hazard to our piston..try your self for proven

goff_d_p

Super Veteran
after about 2 1/5 months my bike started sounding funny, so i started asking around about NGK sparkplugs, trying to find ne for my bike. i had heard that theracing teams were using the NGK Iridium and that it was suppose to increase something, but i got CRS. so dont remember what it was. but i managed to find one, installed it, my engine ran better, and it did feel slightly faster on the take off. but the only thing i haven't been able to find is the racing NGK rectifier for greater spark. the org. spark plug, was bad, it was such a short time from when i got the bike.

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
BARUA said:
do not use iridium type spark plug if our carb not setting yet..coz if you do so u find this plug give lean reading of spark plug.mean hazard to our piston..try your self for proven
is this true?
can you explain further....

BARUA

Super Veteran
traxxas said:
BARUA said:
is this true?
can you explain further....
yup.. im using denso iridum last time for my LC after several trips (at leat 100km) i check to read sprk plug condition..then the result so scared ..the insulator didn`t change color! an insulator should change from white to more tanning..since that case i turn to use normal plug then OK.. :lol:

BARUA

Super Veteran
goff_d_p said:
my machanic says it makes no differance for any of the settings.
of coz all mechanic will saying like that.. if not how come they can sell and make bisnes :lol: , and also not all mechanic have acknowledge bout what they sold..ask you mechanic bout TPS! hehehee :wink:

MioBikerBoyz

Super Veteran
Nobody here knows much about TPS or the differences between iridium sparks and regular spark plugs.

If I do wanna install an NGK racing plug, what kind of retuning would be needed for the carb? A regular mechanic should know about this right?

BARUA

Super Veteran
MioBikerBoyz said:
Nobody here knows much about TPS or the differences between iridium sparks and regular spark plugs.

this racing cable plug give more low currrent resistance,lo resistance mean good firing more stable also hi tempt insulator. iridium plugs also give less current usage and iridum itself extremely hi melt point,and this plug give more ignition compare regular,so better retune our carb,be installing this iridum type,main jet setting maybe or pilotjet..importance you must know how to read spark plug condition!

MioBikerBoyz

Super Veteran
I don't know anything about plug conditions. Maybe best I just leave it to the trsuted mechanics because if I make a mess from tinkering with any parts on the bike...I lose the warrantly and have to pay for damages :) Let the mechanics hold responsibility :D MUHUHUAHAHAHA

donn77

My bike's FC is fine when travelling at 80-100kmh, a full tank can get me 160km. But the FC dropped considerably at more than 100km/h, full tank only around 100km. Is this normal?

Any chance to ride at more than 100km/h but still maintain good FC?

MioBikerBoyz

Super Veteran
I did 110 kms from full to nearly completely empty on gas the first time I bought the bike. I was also just driving at a maximum of 80 kms/hr. So at high speeds I guess fuel consumption is alot.

tsunami

Super Veteran
MioBikerBoyz said:
I did 110 kms from full to nearly completely empty on gas the first time I bought the bike. I was also just driving at a maximum of 80 kms/hr. So at high speeds I guess fuel consumption is alot.
Not exactly dude some cases LC bikes if run speed 160kph-180kph i save my feul as i ride around 60kph besides speed 120-140kph more feul used.
:cry: