• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

How can us Nuovo owners upgrade our airfilters ?

perrygraf

OK, I've seen on previous posts how traxxas-modifier sucessfully modified the K&N (BM1199) by trimming it down to fit the T135. This got me thinking about my Nouvo.

So this is as far as I have got with my research...
The cut out original nouvo airfilter can accomadate a filter 92mm X 132mm and upto 33mm deep. Sadly I have been informed the smallest you can cut down the BM1199 is 100mm X 130mm, 8 mm to wide. There is no way 8mm could be cut out of the original filter housing so the BM 1199 will not be an option.

The story continues..
K&N have the 43-9074 (deisgned to fit a STIHL TS400 STONE CUTTER !!)
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=43-9074
The dimensions are Outside Length: 5.354 in (136 mm)
Outside Width: 3.504 in (89 mm)
but to be honest the intake area is so small I'm not conviced it will be of any benefit. Any Ideas ?

However, then I found the 33-2238
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=33-2238
The dimensions are Outside Length: 5.188 in (132 mm)
Outside Width: 4.438 in (113 mm). This looks like it has a more suitable intake filter area but I can't tell from the picture if the width could be cut down from 113mm to 92mm to fit the Nuovo. Does anyone have any better pics of this filter ?

So guys I'm trowing this one out there to see what your ideas and thoughts are on finding a performance airfilter that will fit the Nouvo. :idea:

Attachments

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
bro can you take a pics of the nouvo filter TOP VIEW?

then using photo editor or MS paint.
draw the measurement Lenght and width
also the inner dimension of the filter area...

lets see how we can solve this one..

perrygraf

I did upload photo's of the Nouvo filter and the 2 K&N filters that might possibly fit. I could see the pictures when I first posted the topic but now they have gone. Any ideas ?

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
bro

K&N 33-2238 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Outside Length: 5.188 in (132 mm)
Outside Width: 4.438 in (113 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.16 oz (5 ml)
Footnote 1: Filter has molded-in velocity stack
Small Eng Footnote 1: For 3-5 HP horiz., 3.5-6 HP (12 CID) Quant., & 6 HP (13) CID vert. engines
Weight: 0.3 lb (0.1 kg)

K&N BM-1199 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 1.313 in (33 mm)
Outside Length: 5.625 in (143 mm)
Outside Width: 4.313 in (110 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.27 oz (8 ml)
Weight: 0.5 lb (0.2 kg)

i think both filters can fit with some modifications to the k&n to fit with nouvo stock filter

perrygraf

Hmm, I'm confused.
I had previously asked you about minimum size you can cut the BM1199 was told it was 100mm X 130mm which is 8 mm to wide to fit into the Nouvo filter housing. Remember the Nouvo filter can fit a maximum of 92mmx132mm into the plastic housing.

And yes my other option is the 33-2238. This filter is 113MM wide (3mm wider than the BM1199) and as the BM1199's width can be trimmed to a minimum of 100MM. I would guess the slightly wider 33-2238 can be trimmed down to around the 100mm mark too, which is too wide. However, I'm hoping someone may have another picture of the back side of the filter to see if more can be cut off. Another point with the 33-2238 is that it is only 16mm thick, half the original thickness. Will this make it harder to draw the air through having less surface area ?

Attachments

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
i will open my filterbox tom to verify about the real dimension of the k&n bm1199
and see if it will fit with 92mm restriction of the yamaha nouvo stock air filter panel

have you notice the KN 33-2238 has more fins (filter vertical lines) than bm 1199? :)

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
bro perry

here it is

the smallest that you can cut with K&N BM1199 air filter is
110mm length and 85mm width
that means it can be fitted with nouvo stock filter :)

Please update us with your mods.
take a pics of it and post a tutorial howto do it :)
it will be appreciated..

please see picture attached

Attachments

perrygraf

Sadly I didn't get the chance to buy the filter. I am living in Vietnam which do not sell such things and importing to here is really expensive. My plan was to buy it in the UK when I went back last month. But by the time I saw your conformation I only had 2 days left there. However, I still want to give this a try. I think I will have to wait until someone visits me from the UK and they can bring it with them.
I will keep you all posted as and when I get the filter.
Thanks again for all your help.

perrygraf

Just to let you know. I ended up doing a cheap filter mod. I simply used the old filter housing (after removing all the paper fins) and stretched a pair of tights, doubled up, over the housing.
I check the filter every few weeks and everything still looks fine (no tearing or holes). It seems to be very effective. Not that I can quote figures but the performance has had a definate increase.