• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

Tips: Change Valve Spring to increase rpm and speed

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
Hi guys

today i just had a new valvespring installed.
im planning to install it myself but since i dont have the necessary
tools like valvespring compressor, they i decided to install it through
a yamaha service center.

why did i decided to change valve spring?
based from my experience, our stock t135 valve spring can only
run upto 10,000rpm. beyond that it will have a valve float.
if you have a stock cdi, you wont reach 10,000rpm because
the stock cdi limits its rpm to 9200 only.

but if you have aftermarket cdi like mine i use rextor.
the cdi doesnt have limiter, its your engine thats now the limiter :)
in this particularly the valve spring.

valve spring will float or they simple call this valve float.
its a status where your valve spring will bounce like a basketball
and cannot do its function properly due to too much rpm.
the stock valve spring just "cannot" take more than 10,000rpm!

beyond 10,000rpm you will hear the famous "krrrrrt" sound in your engine.
it simply says, lower down your throttle or shift to next higher gear.

btw, if you want to see valve float video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY

so to get rid of that valve float (bouncing ball effect).
you need a stiffer spring designed for our bike.

ive got a TK racing valve spring (yamaha asean cup specs)
You can use any other aftermarket valve spring designed for our bike too
but havent tried others. anyway any aftermarket valvespring will definitely
increase rpm range.

Attachments

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
T135 speedometer in every country is NOT ACCURATE

heres a computation of speed based from rpm.
sample here is based on REAL ACCURATE SPEED computation
and not the one shown in t135 speedo.

stock cdi at 9200rpm (max limiter)
max speed @2nd gear = 71kph
max speed @3rd gear = 99kph
max speed @4th gear = 128kph

aftermarket cdi at 10,000rpm with stock valve spring
max speed @2nd gear = 77kph
max speed @3rd gear = 107kph
max speed @4th gear = 139kph

aftermarket cdi at 11,000rpm with aftermarket valve spring
note: i use 11,000rpm .
Though aftermarket valvesprings can reach higher than 11,000rpm

max speed @2nd gear = 85kph
max speed @3rd gear = 118kph
max speed @4th gear = 153kph

PHILIPPINES/INDONESIAN SPEEDOMETER T135 SPECS
note: what shown in speedometer of phil/indo t135

RPM: 11,000
max speed @2nd gear = 92kph
max speed @3rd gear = 128kph
max speed @4th gear = 166kph

all of the above are based from formula computation.
lets see the actual test :)

medangmru

lc-motospeed said:
yy pang valve springs... quite efficient for me
i 've never heard bout the YY Pang valve spring...is it available in the market??....but the one that traxxas mentioned above was recommended by the mechanic ( INSWira )...

One Question...is it necessary ( or Compulsory maybe ) to get this valve spring installed ????i have just installed an Aftermarket cdi ( brt Smart Click I-MAX ) and set the rpm to a maximum of 12500 although it can be set to a max of 17000rpm .....it sound "to heavy" for my bike to get to this rpm yaaa....

Also heard that if u change the racing valve spring, better change the big Blok ( 60mm ) , Racing Cam and Racing carb too ....

Any idea... :roll: :roll:

docgabby

Super Veteran
ive tried using hispeed valve springs with their own retainers on my sniper135. im using hipseed cams, hispeed 54.05 hi comp piston. the engine sounded weird and lost some power. my mechanic said the valve spring must be too stiff for the stock displacement?? it might work better for larger displacement engine? when went back to the original springs, the engine worked fine. i dont't know if there are different stiffness of racing valve springs available for sniper135 depending on displacement? ive seen stage 1, stage2, stage 3 valve springs made by hispeed for honda wave125 depending on the displacement.

stroker

Veteran
docgabby said:
ive tried using hispeed valve springs with their own retainers on my sniper135. im using hipseed cams, hispeed 54.05 hi comp piston. the engine sounded weird and lost some power. my mechanic said the valve spring must be too stiff for the stock displacement?? it might work better for larger displacement engine? when went back to the original springs, the engine worked fine. i dont't know if there are different stiffness of racing valve springs available for sniper135 depending on displacement? ive seen stage 1, stage2, stage 3 valve springs made by hispeed for honda wave125 depending on the displacement.
The HISPEED springs will work great. Something must've gone wrong somewhere.

We've used their springs on stock bike, stock bike with cam, carb etc, big bore etc. All worked great.

No, for their T135 SPRINGS, only one spec (as yet). The Honda ones they had are NOT dependent on displacement. But on the cam used.

A scenario, a mildly tuned race bike we tested yesterday, ran a max of 12,400rpm on 2nd gear (reading based on Daytona Japan's Digital Tacho that's pretty very accurate). Peak hp at 11,000rpm. Overrevs clean and strong till 11,700rpm. Power signs off after 12,000.

Mind you guys, this is a big bored bike with merely mild tune. And to note, its on gear, meaning it'll rev higher on neutral.

For the record, some of the specs we've tested using this same Daytona tacho Meter:

* All out, total-lossed, CDI-ed, piped, big bored, stroked, big valved, big carbed, high cammed etc 11,400rpm on neutral

* Cammed, CDI-ed, STANDARD bored, piped, carbed etc highly tuned road bike 11,700rpm on neutral

* Cammed, CDI-ed, big bored, piped, big valved, stroked, carbed etc race bike 10,500rpm on neutral

* Cammed, CDI-ed, big bored, piped, carbed etc race bike 9,800rpm on neutral

Note: the above are NOT with HiSpeed valve springs. But with other makes/ shimmed etc valve springs. All had modifications to stiffen up the valve spring department.

So the race bike tested yesterday with HiSpeed Springs is pretty darn impressive by any standards.

Of course, there're other subtle differences in all the above set-ups that might be influencing the results.

wills_mclaren

traxxas-modifier said:
T135 speedometer in every country is NOT ACCURATE

heres a computation of speed based from rpm.
sample here is based on REAL ACCURATE SPEED computation
and not the one shown in t135 speedo.

stock cdi at 9200rpm (max limiter)
max speed @2nd gear = 71kph
max speed @3rd gear = 99kph
max speed @4th gear = 128kph

aftermarket cdi at 10,000rpm with stock valve spring
max speed @2nd gear = 77kph
max speed @3rd gear = 107kph
max speed @4th gear = 139kph

aftermarket cdi at 11,000rpm with aftermarket valve spring
note: i use 11,000rpm .
Though aftermarket valvesprings can reach higher than 11,000rpm

max speed @2nd gear = 85kph
max speed @3rd gear = 118kph
max speed @4th gear = 153kph

PHILIPPINES/INDONESIAN SPEEDOMETER T135 SPECS
note: what shown in speedometer of phil/indo t135

RPM: 11,000
max speed @2nd gear = 92kph
max speed @3rd gear = 128kph
max speed @4th gear = 166kph

all of the above are based from formula computation.
lets see the actual test :)
Can you post the actual speed attained ?

docgabby

Super Veteran
thanks stroker, we did call up mr. kwang regarding what we experienced and he advised to return to the stock springs. he said that he has a special cams(yamaha team specs) that he advices to use the valve spring with. my friend who has sniper135 with kittiE1 cams had the hispeed springs installed by a yamaha ceritified mechanic in norkis-yamaha 3s shop. developed same problem as me! we called mr.kwang and again he recommended to go back to the stock springs. i dont know were we went wrong???

kirana

Super Veteran
i am so happy went someone say the bike can go 166kmh or more and RPM can go more than 12000,so now i know that i m nor a LIAR, my top RPM can go to 11200 on 4rd gear top speed on Honda Civic is 166KMH as i told u guys many months ago,hehehehehe :mrgreen: :) :D :p :p :p
now i will only go max to 140KMH enought with all the top speed hahahahaha been there done that 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink:

stroker

Veteran
docgabby said:
thanks stroker, we did call up mr. kwang regarding what we experienced and he advised to return to the stock springs. he said that he has a special cams(yamaha team specs) that he advices to use the valve spring with. my friend who has sniper135 with kittiE1 cams had the hispeed springs installed by a yamaha ceritified mechanic in norkis-yamaha 3s shop. developed same problem as me! we called mr.kwang and again he recommended to go back to the stock springs. i dont know were we went wrong???
Ha. Next time you call Kwang up, say that you know Anthony also. He'll know who am I. Say Hi.

We've used E1 cam too. Its the cam. Trust me, ditch the E1 cam. Its one of the lousiest cam in town.

Back in the olden days when parts aren't available, its the only choice. We've tried it so many times with so many config. None of them worked with the E1 cam.

Cheers

stroker

Veteran
docgabby said:
BTW, can you post a pic of the HiSpeed Cam that you have? I need to know which version you have. You should've gotten the more expensive race version.

stroker

Veteran
kirana said:
i am so happy went someone say the bike can go 166kmh or more and RPM can go more than 12000,so now i know that i m nor a LIAR, my top RPM can go to 13200 on 4rd gear top speed on Honda Civic is 166KMH as i told u guys many months ago,hehehehehe :mrgreen: :) :D :p :p :p
now i will only go max to 140KMH enought with all the top speed hahahahaha been there done that 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink:
Hi bro. Not that I doubt you. Like I've illustrated, the 12,400 on 2nd gear is already crazy rpms by any standards on my Daytona Digital Tacho. 4th gear 13200? You get my salute if you can clock this rpm on the same Daytona Meter I'm using.

What I was saying is that your koso meter's reading might be off. No offence. Just my serious 2 cents worth after 'meddling' around with T135s for quite a bit.

Peace. :p

docgabby

Super Veteran
thanks stroker for the tips. hispeed has 2 versions of his spark135 cams. ill try to post a picture.

kirana

Super Veteran
Sory u r rite.and i m wrong. on 4th gear my max RPM is 11200,
1st 12000/2nd 12300/3rd 10500.
will change to a new Cam next time,and again u r rite there is a better cam,but not easy to get,mine will be hand made. we need to mody the top head to for bigger pipe valve??!!!!!

The Bidin

so uncle kirana,what cam do u suggest..i mean what brand.Ride It,Kitti,TCB,XP andrion..or whatelse? :?: really need to know..