• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

removing thermostat's check valve (pros & cons)

lincx

Super Veteran
MASTERS please give your thoughts on the topic, if we
remove the thermostat's check valve of our LC4V would it
improve the engine's heat threshold?thanks to those who
would bother to read nor give their insights on this topic....

chiglai

Super Veteran
i was thinking about this, but coudnt figure out the possible pros & cons of it..
if removed coolant will keep circulating from radiator to your block nonstop? hehehe am i right? more cooling effect on your block? watch mode for those whove tried this mod

low_budget

removing thermo valave?

i already tried it.... but it does not work..... due to the free flow of the coolant with the absence of the thermo valve, the coolant over flows bcoz of the pressure created from the waterpump...so take my word for it..,tnx

lincx

Super Veteran
i tooked out my check valve but you
have to get it's housing to refit it with
the water seal just put some silicone
sealant to be sure...
but now im gettin false thermo reading with
my brt neo dualband on the panel,it's blinking
but when i turn off the engine for 2 secs and
turn it on again it's gone, i experience this occasionally
but when im using the stock cdi the blinking
does not appear even in the long drive...
im wondering why...
if you guys would try this you
have to customize the fan with a switch

chiglai

Super Veteran
@lincx
bro can you share the pros and cons of removing it? aside from the error in your panel.. how about the pros of it?

lincx

Super Veteran
@ chiglai

the engine needs to build up heat pressure before
the thermo check valve would open up to circulate
the coolant into the cylinder head that's why the fan
turns on when there is too much heat detected at the
thermostat..if you remove it's check valve, coolant can
circulate freely thus eliminating the possibility of engine
overheat when the check valve jams...that is my rationale...
those who have insights about the subject please post
your comment...bro chiglai hope this can give you usefull
info.....

chiglai

Super Veteran
what i mean is will increase the performance in terms of speed? or only its cooling properties?

lincx

Super Veteran
not quite sure about the speed but definitely
the cooling system os up...i think it can sustain
high speed at a longer time....

chiglai

Super Veteran
i was thinking that it would possibly increase speed or performance... hehehehe... but this is just an option for us.. for the stock check valve still does its job well, weve travelled almost 800kms in 1 day thats about 22hours on the road.. weve on had 3-4hours rest on this single day travel and no signs of over heating...

lincx

Super Veteran
thermostat

as per haen says on the thermostat

PROS:
better flow of coolant
help stabilize engine's ideal working temperature
no malfinctioning thermostat

CONS:
slow to reach engine's ideal temperature
not recommended to unplug thermostat at cold temp areas...

so it's up to you boy's to decide...

big poppa

Super Veteran
IMHO it does not have any direct effect on the speed per se but rather, on the cooling system. But everything that improves engine condition will help in the overall performance of course.

From car radiators and cooling systems I learned that the Check Valve do not allow the continuous flow of coolant to the engine and actually have more time for it to cool down inside the radiator.

As it is temp controlled, once check valve closes, the water in the radiator will have sufficient time to cool down with the outside air and fan forcing the air to the fins. And once it opens, cooler fluid flows thru the engine. As opposed to continuous flowing fluid that is circulating and will not have sufficient time to cool down in the radiator.

Since we are using smaller engines, and the improved DIasil cylinder cooling features, I guess leaving it or removing it will only have a slight effect on overall performance, assuming every part is properly functioning.

But that's just my opinion hehehe.

chiglai

Super Veteran
@big poppa
thanks bro... a guy from yamaha phils told me about this and he even shared some of his mods which i think would possibly compromise some functions and sacrifice other possible pro's to cons and vice versa

big poppa

Super Veteran
chiglai said:
@big poppa
thanks bro... a guy from yamaha phils told me about this and he even shared some of his mods which i think would possibly compromise some functions and sacrifice other possible pro's to cons and vice versa
Precisely bro! Bro.. keep that thing in standby first ok? We'll talk first week of may hehe (if it is still there that is :))

marcusfilter

Staff member
big poppa said:
IMHO it does not have any direct effect on the speed per se but rather, on the cooling system. But everything that improves engine condition will help in the overall performance of course.

From car radiators and cooling systems I learned that the Check Valve do not allow the continuous flow of coolant to the engine and actually have more time for it to cool down inside the radiator.

As it is temp controlled, once check valve closes, the water in the radiator will have sufficient time to cool down with the outside air and fan forcing the air to the fins. And once it opens, cooler fluid flows thru the engine. As opposed to continuous flowing fluid that is circulating and will not have sufficient time to cool down in the radiator.

Since we are using smaller engines, and the improved DIasil cylinder cooling features, I guess leaving it or removing it will only have a slight effect on overall performance, assuming every part is properly functioning.

Nice one..."As it is temp controlled, once check valve closes, the water in the radiator will have sufficient time to cool down with the outside air and fan forcing the air to the fins. And once it opens, cooler fluid flows thru the engine."

This is the true logic of it... That's why im still thinking of changing to TDR block...should I be removing the check valve cause it has a higher compression than the vixion kit... higher compression = More heat for our engine.

:roll:

big poppa

Super Veteran
marcusfilter said:
big poppa said:

Nice one..."As it is temp controlled, once check valve closes, the water in the radiator will have sufficient time to cool down with the outside air and fan forcing the air to the fins. And once it opens, cooler fluid flows thru the engine."

This is the true logic of it... That's why im still thinking of changing to TDR block...should I be removing the check valve cause it has a higher compression than the vixion kit... higher compression = More heat for our engine.

Good question bro... Because presently they removed my check valve (the irony of it) without my knowledge and when I picked up the bike from the shop, I asked them why they took it off, they said they did one before which always overheating until they removed the chk valve hehehe.

The TDR Kit is High Comp as it is and helping even it out, they made the pockets slightly deeper and bigger for the stage 2 cams and big valves. Also, no gasket was left out and no block shaving was done (On vixion we did shaving and removed lower gasket). Although I would have preffered to take it with the valve, I had no choice but to drive off without it installed.

Since it was already installed, I just took it and decided to break it in as-is.. no problems so far, but only doing soft to moderate break as we still have doubts with the piston (untried) but I would prefer to have the Chk valve back.. maybe after the break-in. :D

lincx

Super Veteran
i happen to be 10th ave last week and opted
to ask if there's an after sales thermostat available...
damn! it would cost you 2000php to have one...
walked out off the store fill of regrets,..hehehehe

wpt4205

big poppa said:
marcusfilter said:
[quote="big poppa":utikn7xn]IMHO it does not have any direct effect on the speed per se but rather, on the cooling system. But everything that improves engine condition will help in the overall performance of course.

Good question bro... Because presently they removed my check valve (the irony of it) without my knowledge and when I picked up the bike from the shop, I asked them why they took it off, they said they did one before which always overheating until they removed the chk valve hehehe.

The TDR Kit is High Comp as it is and helping even it out, they made the pockets slightly deeper and bigger for the stage 2 cams and big valves. Also, no gasket was left out and no block shaving was done (On vixion we did shaving and removed lower gasket). Although I would have preffered to take it with the valve, I had no choice but to drive off without it installed.

Since it was already installed, I just took it and decided to break it in as-is.. no problems so far, but only doing soft to moderate break as we still have doubts with the piston (untried) but I would prefer to have the Chk valve back.. maybe after the break-in. :D

[/quote:utikn7xn]

Bigpoppa

do i need to remove my termostat check valve for my current setting:

1) 62mm piston
2) 3mm stroker pin
3) 3mm Block gasket
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
lincx said:
i happen to be 10th ave last week and opted
to ask if there's an after sales thermostat available...
damn! it would cost you 2000php to have one...
walked out off the store fill of regrets,..hehehehe
haha . then next time ask if i have some parts.
it will only cost you almost half the price of that :)