• If your have CLUB EVENTS/RIDE & would like to announce it here,
    Message traxxas-modifier about it :-)

Kick start - "TOK!" sound

mingomz

Super Veteran
Tread title is the most direct way I can explain the problem.

Just this evening I was about to test run my Bike, I cannot use my push start because I have a weak battery already... -- so the alternate way is to use the kick start.

I tried a couple of times to kick, and it did not work, since my bike was not used for a week.
I gave the bike a little push (set on neutral) so the engine oil can circulate. then tried again to kick start. This is were I heard like a snapping like sound or to be more specific a "TOK!!" sound.
That happened when I kicked down and not when the kick start is retracting back.

The kick start did not jammed or loosen but I am concerned that something might have broke (jammed piston, crank chain snapped, starter gearing lost a tooth.. etc..)

I tried to feel the kick gently and push it all the way down slowly and the "TOK" sound was gone. tried a couple of times just to make sure and it did not repeat at all..

Tried again to kick normally and my bike started already.

Gave it a test run (around half a kilometer) and luckily I haven't noticed any grinding sound...yet..hopefully it was nothing.

I'm a little paranoid now since I was not paying attention even when I was on stock block where you could feel the kick start cranking up the starter assembly. Is it by 1/4 or 1/2 when kicking/pushing it down? cause I observed mine, you could feel it cranking i'd say about close1/4 when the kick is depressed down.

Block is Vixion
Cams - CMS
Gearing - stock gearing

My concern is, what could have caused that? my speculations are-- bike is not on neutral properly, kick start was not retracted all the way properly..

Just need your inputs/opinions.

Thanks!

peakabu

Super Veteran
ive also experience that when my gas overflowed because of my busted fuel cock..when we open the air box half of the air box was filled with gas and the gas also mixed w/ the engine oil....

sir try to check your oil and airbox just to make sure...

mingomz

Super Veteran
ive also experience that when my gas overflowed because of my busted fuel cock..when we open the air box half of the air box was filled with gas and the gas also mixed w/ the engine oil....

sir try to check your oil and airbox just to make sure...
I don't have any air box anymore :)

I will change my engine oil just to be sure. if there is any large residue or chipped metal.

thanks

mingomz

Super Veteran
I'm guessing the bike was not properly set to neutral. Changed the oil today and used an air blower pointing at the dipstick hole and side tipped over my bike, -- found no metal chips. even on the oil that was drained.

traxxas-modifier

Super LOLO
Staff member
if you are really concerned about it, i suggest to open up your head block
to see if the valve hits the piston,
you can check it, there will be a mark on your piston.

its better to be safe and spend less than P500 or free if DIY
than having to spend P20k for damages to head and block.

mingomz

Super Veteran
if you are really concerned about it, i suggest to open up your head block
to see if the valve hits the piston,
you can check if since there will be a mark on your piston.

its better to be safe and spend less than P500 or free if DIY
than having to spend P20k for damages to block and block.
Not yet adept in opening cylinder head blocks, I will have it checked to a trusted mechanic just to be sure.

thanks.

sniperzzero

Bro, in my opinion it always happen to my Dad's honda xrm. there is always a sound of TOK when in starting the engine using push button e-start and kick start. The problem we encounter is the defect starter. And we repair it to the mechanic (I think Starter gearing) and TOK sound is gone. But it is better to check your engine to your mechanic and I hope your engine is not damage.

mingomz

Super Veteran
what should you do sir mingomz?.
The bike was not properly set to neutral. kids here might have tampered my bike that why when I kicked i heard that sound.
to be sure I suggest what sir traxx said. to give yo ua peace of mind.

jimpie

Super Veteran
The bike was not properly set to neutral. kids here might have tampered my bike that why when I kicked i heard that sound.
to be sure I suggest what sir traxx said. to give yo ua peace of mind.
oh... thanks for info bro. your mind like a gifted-child like admin :)

this happen to me sometimes when i use kick start. there's a TOK sound.. how did you fix the problem? how can you say that it has been solved? did you open the crank case or replace and parts?

stock engine here.

Last edited:

speedfreak.com

sir,,my sniper 135 had kickstarter jammed and it woudnt turn back to original position...what could it probably cause???what should i do???please help me sir