The Power of Love
Bible in a Year:

Many waters cannot quench love.

Song of Songs 8:7
COMMENT

JOURNAL
Today's Scripture & Insight:
Song of Songs 8:6–7
Two octogenarians, one from Germany and the other from Denmark, were an unlikely couple. They had each enjoyed sixty years of marriage before being widowed. Though living only fifteen minutes apart, their homes were in separate countries. Still, they fell in love, regularly cooking meals and spending time together. Sadly, in 2020, due to the coronavirus, the Danish government closed the border crossing. Undeterred, every day at 3:00 p.m., the two met at the border on a quiet country lane and, seated on their respective sides, shared a picnic. “We’re here because of love,” the man explained. Their love was stronger than borders, more powerful than a pandemic.
The Song of Songs offers an impressive display of love’s invincible power. “Love is as strong as death,” Solomon insisted (8:6). None of us escapes death; it arrives with a steely finality we can’t break. And yet love, the writer said, is every bit as strong. What’s more, love “burns like a blazing fire, like a mighty flame” (v. 6). Have you ever watched a fire exploding in feverish rage? Love—like fire—is impossible to contain. “Many waters cannot quench love.” Not even a raging river can sweep love away (v. 7).
Human love, whenever it’s selfless and true, offers reflections of these characteristics. However, only God’s love offers such potency, such limitless depths, such tenacious power. And here’s the stunner: God loves each of us with this unquenchable love.
By: Winn Collier
Sign in to track your progress!
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
How does love in this life reflect the love shared by God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit? How do you sense God loving you now?
God, I need Your powerful, deep love. I need Your love that won’t be extinguished and won’t let me go. Will You show me this love today?

boldstardex

Staff member

TWO WORDS THAT CHANGE EVERYTHING
February 15, 2022
“This, then, is how you should pray: ‘Our Father…’” Matthew 6:9
The first two words of the Lord’s Prayer seem to be very simple and straightforward:

Our Father

However, when we robotically repeat these words during a Sunday worship service, it’s easy to miss the depth of meaning intended by Jesus. The truth is that the words Our Father form the foundation for a healthy, vibrant prayer life.

Let’s consider the words that Jesus didn’t choose to begin this prayer.

He could have chosen “Creator” or “Lord” or “King,” to name a few. Any one of these words would have been theologically and scripturally accurate. But Jesus didn’t choose them. He intentionally chose to use the words Our Father.

Why does that matter? Because He was framing the Lord’s Prayer in the context of a conversation between Father and child, not a King and a servant. He is telling His followers that they should seek God, not as bonded slaves, rather as His beloved children.

But it doesn’t stop there. Jesus also used the word Our. If He had chosen My Father, He would have only highlighted the uniqueness of His own relationship with God. (You see, the truth is that Jesus was fully and singularly the beloved Son of God. There never was and there never will be another human being who was related to the Father in this way.)

But He didn’t say that. He said, Our Father.

Now, it’s important to understand something here:

God cannot be our Father unless we are rightly related to Him through Jesus.

This happens when we realize that we all need a Savior; when we ask to be forgiven for our sins and through faith, invite Jesus – who IS the Savior – to become the Lord of our lives.

And therein lies the heartbeat of this beautiful phrase, Our Father.

Because access to OUR Father comes only through His Son. OUR acceptance before the Father is only because of His Son. And the only door to that acceptance is through the cross, where Jesus gave His life so that we might become children of God.

It is at the cross where His Father becomes Our Father.

When we receive the gift of salvation through faith in Jesus, it changes the language of our hearts. Then we are free to cry out, Our Father who art in heaven…knowing that our prayers are heard and will be answered.

And that, my friend, is more amazing than our words can ever express!

Written by Kevin Wood, Guest Contributor

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
0:00
iTunesDownload MP3

February 16
Wise Advice
Bible in a Year:

The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.

Proverbs 12:15
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Proverbs 6:20–23
When the roof of Paris’ Notre-Dame Cathedral caught fire in April 2019, its ancient wood beams and lead sheeting created a furnace so hot it couldn’t be contained. After the cathedral’s spire dramatically fell, attention turned to its bell towers. If the giant steel bells’ wooden frames also burned, their collapse would bring both towers down, leaving the cathedral in ruins.
Pulling his firefighters back for safety, General Gallet, commander of the Paris fire department, pondered what to do next. A firefighter named Remi nervously approached. “Respectfully, General,” he said, “I propose that we run hoses up the exterior of the towers.” Given the building’s fragility the commander dismissed the idea, but Remi spoke on. Soon General Gallet faced a decision: follow the junior firefighter’s advice or leave the cathedral to fall.
Scripture has much to say about taking advice. While this is sometimes in the context of youth respecting elders (Proverbs 6:20–23), most is not. Proverbs says, “the wise listen to advice” (12:15), wars are won with it (24:6), and only a fool fails to heed it (12:15). Wise people listen to good advice, whatever the age or rank of those giving it.
General Gallet listened to Remi. The burning bell frames were hosed down just in time, and the cathedral was saved. What problem do you need godly advice on today? Sometimes God guides the humble through a junior’s lips.
By: Sheridan Voysey
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
In what situations do you find it difficult to listen to advice? How can you best judge good advice from bad?
Father, by the work of the Holy Spirit, please give me the humility to receive good advice from others.

https://bit.ly/34qeVyZ

boldstardex

Staff member

3 QUESTIONS GOD IS STILL ASKING
February 16, 2022
Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” Genesis 3:8-9
Why do we ask questions?

Well, it’s because we lack something.

Sometimes we lack information, so we ask someone more knowledgeable. Or we lack intimacy, so we ask a person a question to get to know them better. Or we lack understanding, so we ask for clarification and elaboration. In all three cases, we ask because we are in need.

But what about God? He asks questions, too. In fact, we see God asking questions over and over again in Scripture, but not for the same reasons we do. God certainly doesn’t need anything. He already knows all the answers. He already understands perfectly. He already has every perspective.

So why does He still ask?

God uses questions to force us to confront our own hearts. He questions us not because He needs to know and understand what’s going on, but because He wants us to know and understand the truth of what’s going on.

In light of that, here are three questions God is still asking:

1. “Where are you?” (Genesis 3:9)

God first asked Adam this question after he had sinned in the garden. He wasn’t really asking for a location, as if He did not know where the first human are. Both Adam and Eve were created to live in fellowship with their Creator, and now they were hiding from Him. God wanted them to own what had happened; to confess; to return to Him in faith.

Similarly, God might ask us, “Where are you?” Not because He doesn’t know, but because He wants to bring us into the light instead of us trying to hide from Him in fear and shame.

2. “Do you want to get well?” (John 5:6)

Jesus asked this question to a man who had been sick for 38 years. For almost 4 decades, he had been lying by this pool, putting his hope in some old superstition about its magical qualities when it started to bubble. You would think the answer would have been an unequivocal, “Yes! Of course, I do!”

But maybe not, because you can get accustomed to a lot of things in 38 years. Perhaps so accustomed to your circumstances that you develop an attachment to them. Maybe healing is also available to us, but healing means letting go of what is familiar and comfortable. It means releasing ourselves totally to His care. It means trusting that He is better than whatever we are clinging to.

3. Why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:31)

Peter got out of the boat. Despite the wind and waves, he walked on the water. But when he took his eyes off Jesus, he began to focus on what was around him, and when he did, he began to sink. But Jesus was there; he took Peter by the hand, lifted him up, and then asked this question.

I suppose you might read the question, “Why did you doubt?” as a chastisement as if Jesus was shaking his head in disappointment, but I don’t think so. I think He asked this with more of a smile on his face, the same kind of look a father has for a child who nervously jumps out of a tree into his arms. The father securely grabs his child, holds him tight, and says, “Did you really think I would let you fall?”

Yes, Jesus is still asking questions.

He’s asking us every time we are stuck in anxiety.

Every time we fret about tomorrow.

Every time we worry about the future.

He smiles and reminds us that our Father knows how to give good gifts and take care of us. After all, that same Father gave the life of His Son on our behalf – how will He also not also give us all good things? Why, in light of the cross and resurrection, would we doubt?

God will always ask questions that bring us in line with His will. Questions that move us deeper into intimacy with Him.

Let us embrace them.

Answer them.

And know that the Father is only waiting for us to acknowledge what He already knows.

Written by Michael Kelley, Guest Contributor

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

February 21
Never Say “Can’t”
Bible in a Year:

Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.

Exodus 4:12
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Exodus 3:7–10; 4:10–15
Jen was born without legs and abandoned at the hospital. Yet she says being put up for adoption was a blessing. “I am here because of the people who poured into me.” Her adoptive family helped her to see she was “born like this for a reason.” They raised her to “never say ‘can’t’ ” and encouraged her in all her pursuits—including becoming an accomplished acrobat and aerialist! She meets challenges with an attitude of “How can I tackle this?” and motivates others to do the same.
The Bible tells the stories of many people God used who seemed incapable or unsuited for their calling—but God used them anyway. Moses is a classic example. When God called him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, he balked (Exodus 3:11; 4:1) and protested, “I am slow of speech and tongue.” God replied, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? . . . Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say” (4:10–12). When Moses still protested, God provided Aaron to speak for him and assured him He would help them (vv. 13–15).
Like Jen and like Moses, all of us are here for a reason—and God graciously helps us along the way. He supplies people to help us and provides what we need to live for Him.
By: Alyson Kieda
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
When have you felt incapable or ill-equipped for a task or role you felt God calling you to fill? How did God help you?
God, I’m so glad you didn’t leave me here on this earth to do it all on my own. Thank You for Your love and guidance and the people You’ve placed in my life.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

February 22
Love Your Loved Ones
Bible in a Year:

If he comes to you, welcome him.

Colossians 4:10
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Colossians 4:7–10
Amos was an overbearing extrovert, and Danny was a loner wracked with self-doubt. Somehow these eccentric geniuses became best friends. They spent a decade laughing and learning together. One day their work would receive a Nobel Prize. But Danny tired of Amos’ self-centered ways and told him they were no longer friends.
Three days later, Amos called with terrible news. Doctors had found cancer and given him six months to live. Danny’s heart broke. “We’re friends,” he said, “whatever you think we are.”
Paul was a hard-nosed visionary and Barnabas a soft-hearted encourager. The Spirit put them together and sent them on a missionary journey (Acts 13:2–3). They preached and started churches, until their disagreement over Mark’s desertion. Barnabas wanted to give Mark a second chance. Paul said he could no longer be trusted. So they split up (15:36–41).
Paul eventually forgave Mark. He closed three letters with greetings from or commendations for him (Colossians 4:10; 2 Timothy 4:11; Philemon 1:24). We don’t know what happened with Barnabas. Did he live long enough to be reconciled with Paul in this life? I hope so.
Whatever your situation today, try to reach out to those with whom you may have had a falling out. Now is the time to show and tell them how much you love them.
By: Mike Wittmer
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
With whom do you need to reconcile? What can you do with your pain if that person is no longer living?
Father, help me to see that one primary purpose of life is to show love to those around me.

https://bit.ly/3gJafXp

boldstardex

Staff member

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE CHRISTLIKE – PART 1
February 23, 2022
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” – Galatians 5: 22
What does it mean to be ‘Christ-like?’

We talk about it a lot in church, but what does it look like – practically?

The apostle Paul described the ‘Christ-like’ life using nine characteristics referred to in Scripture as the fruit of the Spirit. These ‘fruit’ contrast a self-willed and sinful life without God with a life that is based on living in the truth of Jesus Christ. It’s the difference between a ‘Me-focused’ life and a ‘Christ-focused’ life.

So what fruit are we’re talking about?

• Love: The biblical definition of love has nothing to do with a feeling. It is based on a decision of the will that we are going to love – whether we agree with or even like a person. We are going to love our neighbor no matter how we feel. We are called to love.
  • Joy: Joy is not temporary happiness because life is going my way at the moment. It’s a joy found even in struggles and grief. It doesn’t mean that we necessarily enjoy the struggle, but that we have the joy of knowing we’re fulfilling the will of God for our life.
  • Peace: Trusting Christ brings peace. We are finally reconciled with God – and that peace with God creates a growing inner peace which leads to a desire for peace with others.
  • Kindness: The Christ-follower is called to show kindness to those who oppress them, who marginalize them, who disagree with them. Could there be any character trait more appreciated in others than kindness?
  • Goodness & Patience: Patience is enduring those who mistreat us, and goodness comes from the appreciation of God’s grace in our lives. These two go hand-in-hand because through the truth of Jesus Christ we begin to experience genuine goodness that wants to be patient with those who mistreat and oppress us.
Which ‘fruit’ do you need more of?

It’s not about trying. It’s about asking God to transform you more and more into the image of Christ.

The ‘fruit’ will follow.

Written by Bryant Wright, Founder, RFTH

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

February 28
Choosing Celebration
Bible in a Year:

A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.

Proverbs 14:30
COMMENT
JOURNAL
1 Peter 2:1–3, 9–10
Writer Marilyn McEntyre shares the story of learning from a friend that “the opposite of envy is celebration.” Despite this friend’s physical disability and chronic pain, which limited her ability to develop her talents in the ways she’d hoped, she was somehow able to uniquely embody joy and to celebrate with others, bringing “appreciation into every encounter” before she passed away.
That insight—“the opposite of envy is celebration”—lingers with me, reminding me of friends in my own life who seem to live out this kind of comparison-free, deep, and genuine joy for others.
Envy is an easy trap to fall into. It feeds on our deepest vulnerabilities, wounds, and fears, whispering that if we were only more like so-and-so, we wouldn’t be struggling, and we wouldn’t be feeling bad.
As Peter reminded new believers in 1 Peter 2, the only way to “rid [ourselves]” of the lies that envy tells us is to be deeply rooted in the truth, to “have tasted”—deeply experienced—“that the Lord is good” (vv. 1–3). We can “love one another deeply, from the heart” (1:22) when we know the true source of our joy—“the living and enduring word of God” (v. 23).
We can surrender comparison when we remember who we really are—beloved members of “a chosen people, . . . God’s special possession.” We’re called “out of darkness into his wonderful light” (2:9).
By: Monica La Rose
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What examples of comparison-free joy have influenced your life? How does remembering your place in the body of Christ free you from the need to compare yourself to others?
Loving God, source of all that’s good, help me to let go of envy’s lies, the kind of lies that suck out joy and “rot the bones.” Help me to instead celebrate the countless beautiful gifts of life in Your kingdom.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

March 2
Managing Our Gifts
Bible in a Year:

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others.

1 Peter 4:10
COMMENT
JOURNAL
1 Peter 4:7–11
In 2013, British actor David Suchet was filming the final TV episodes as Agatha Christie’s beloved Belgian detective Hercule Poirot—and also starring in a stage play—when he took on “the biggest role in [his] life.” Between those projects he recorded an audio version of the entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation—752,702 words—over two hundred hours.
Suchet, who became a believer in Jesus after reading the book of Romans in a Bible he found in a hotel room, called the project the fulfillment of “a 27-year-long ambition. I felt totally driven. I did so much research on every part of it that I couldn’t wait to get going.” Then he donated his wages.
His recording remains an inspiring example of how to glorify God by stewarding a gift, then sharing it. Peter urged such stewardship in his letter to first-century believers. Persecuted for worshiping Jesus, not Caesar, they were challenged to focus instead on living for God by nurturing their spiritual gifts. “If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God” (1 Peter 4:11). Like all gifts, we can develop them “so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.”
Suchet offered his talents to God. We can do the same. Whatever God has given to you, manage it well for His glory.
By: Patricia Raybon
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
How would you describe your God-given talents and spiritual gifts? What could you do to manage or steward them better for His glory?
Heavenly Father, at times I’ve squandered my gifts and talents. Sharpen my commitment to manage the gifts You’ve given me so the world praises You.
To learn more about your personality and gifting, visit Discover Yourself and Others.

boldstardex

Staff member

IS YOUR FAITH BEING TESTED?
March 02, 2022
“The Lord turned to (Gideon) and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” – Judges 6:14
Have you ever felt powerless?

In the middle of so much global uncertainty, it’s pretty easy to feel like everything is spinning out of control and there’s nothing you can do about it.

If anyone could relate to feeling powerless and struggling to trust God in the interim, it was Gideon. In Judges 6, we meet Gideon during severe oppression at the hands of the Midianites. For seven years they had been reduced to hiding out in the mountains and caves, struggling to survive (Judges 6:4). Talk about feeling powerless.

One day, God sent an angel to Gideon: “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior!” Gideon, who at the time had been threshing wheat in a winepress to keep out of sight, probably didn’t feel like a mighty warrior. In fact, he would later remind God that he came from the weakest clan and was himself the least of his family (Judges 6:15). “Mighty warrior,” he was not.

Naturally, Gideon had a lot of questions. “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us?…The Lord has abandoned us.” In other words, Gideon was asking what many of us might be asking God right now: Where are You?

Look how God responds in verse 14: “The Lord turned to him and said, ‘Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you? I will be with you’” (Judges 6:14,16a). In other words, God tells Gideon to go – as he is – and trust HIM to fill in the gap. Reluctantly, Gideon obeys. Sure enough, God comes through in a miraculous way! Gideon became the mighty warrior that God saw in him and led a vastly outnumbered army to victory against the Midianites. (Read the full story in Judges 7.)

We all go through seasons of feeling powerless and losing hope. Perhaps your faith is being test this very day. If so, then be encouraged by Gideon’s story and remember:

• God is more powerful than even the biggest obstacle.
  • God sees things (in us and in life’s circumstances) that we cannot.
  • God loves to use seemingly hopeless situations for HIS glory.
How can God use you in your times of uncertainty?

boldstardex

Staff member

DID HE MISUNDERSTAND WHAT GOD SAID?
March 03, 2022
“But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.” – Genesis 2:17
Perhaps it was Adam’s added words to Eve that gave the serpent his opening. “You shall not eat from it or touch it, lest you die!”

Wait, is that really what God said to Adam?

That would be a big NO!

When God set down the house rules for the garden, He told Adam that no one could eat from a certain tree or death would be the result. He said nothing about touching the fruit.

It appears that Adam, probably with good intentions in telling Eve of God’s command, added his own words, “or touch it.” Makes sense. If you can’t touch it, you can’t eat it. It seems like such a little thing, doesn’t it? Yet with those three added words, Adam gave the devil the ability to challenge Eve’s claim that just touching the fruit would cause death. (Now remember, God never said that.)

You see, this kind of thing is one of the main reasons why the devil is so successful in messing with us. He finds little loopholes in the sins we commit and argues that surely God wouldn’t really be upset about that little sin – ah, legalism at its finest. So we take our eyes off of God to argue with the devil!

Where is the logic in that?

Adding to the words of God is not only sinful, it always leads to confusion.

News flash: God is never the author of confusion.

Let’s try to learn from Adam’s mistake, and be effective Christians by sharing only the perfect Word of God as it is written – adding no words of our own.

boldstardex

Staff member

A TUG OF WAR OF THE HEART
March 04, 2022
You’ve been raised with Christ, set your heart on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.” Colossians 3:1
Do you remember playing tug of war as a kid?
I do.
Well, guess what?
We’re still competitors in an epic tug of war.
You see, each day there is an unseen, internal tug of war for the affections of our hearts.
Our hearts are pulled between two extremes – between the things of this world and the things above.
[IMG alt="Diagram
Description automatically generated with medium confidence"]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/7...ZXNCRXLOkWn5l0_inA9Y0Cv8DAIx2AdY5RFu7We[/IMG]
And unlike tug of war on a playground, who wins this competition is vitally important.
Here’s why:
Our hearts are at the very core of who we are. The heart is the ‘control-center’ of our minds, our emotions, and our wills.
If we allow our hearts to get pulled too far by the world, then the world essentially starts controlling us.
It’s not just the blatantly sinful things that battle for control of our hearts. We must also contend with the ‘not-so-subtle’ pull from what we would consider the ‘good things’ of life that threaten to capture our heart’s affections.
And that is what makes this tug of war so challenging!
Aware of our internal struggle, Paul gives us some practical advice:
set your heart on things above.
Well, that sounds great, but what exactly does it mean?
Let me make some brief observations:
Intentional: To keep us from getting pulled by the tug of culture, we must live with intentionality. The verb Paul uses for “set” is the same one Jesus employs when He tells His disciples to “seek first the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 6:33). Both “setting” and “seeking” don’t happen automatically. They are deliberate, purposeful actions.
Having a consistent, personal time with the Lord is one way of intentionally pointing our hearts towards heaven.
Identity: Setting our hearts is in response to the fact that we’ve been “raised with Christ.” We were “once dead in our transgressions and sins, but now we are alive” (Ephesians 2:4,5). As sons and daughters of the living God, our identity is rooted in Christ alone. So, it’s our great joy to live out our new identity, demonstrating that we belong to Him, not to the world.
Repeated: This is not a one-time action, but something we must do every day of our lives. Truth be told, it really has to happen repeatedly throughout the day. Not only are our hearts prone to wander, but the challenges of life can easily knock us off course. So, we have to set and reset our hearts as often as is necessary.
Resetting our hearts can happen in any number of ways:
  • a silent prayer at our office desk
  • reading a devotional in the afternoon
  • listening to worship music as we run errands
You get the idea.
Ultimately, setting our hearts is a way of reminding ourselves that Jesus is in control, reigning over our circumstances at “the right hand of God.”
And I don’t know about you, but my heart needs that reminder all of the time.
I bet yours does too.
So, why not seize this moment?
Right now, tug on the “rope” and set your heart on Him.

Written by Jonathan Munson, Executive Director
READ OTHER DEVOTIONALS

“The messages from you are always right on target. I have shared many of them with my friends, either by forwarding your e-mails or on social media. I also always love the segments that are on television and the radio. Thank you for providing them.” Nancy T.
Enter your email address below to receive our daily devotionals.

• By submitting this form, you agree to receive communications from Right From The Heart. Your email address will never be shared and you may unsubscribe at any time. Read our privacy policy here.*
SUBSCRIBE
FEATURED VIDEO
Only One Entrance to Heaven

https://rightfromtheheart.org/video/only-one-entrance-to-heaven

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

March 7
Willing to Wait
Bible in a Year:

Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains.

James 5:7
COMMENT
JOURNAL
James 5:7–12
Waiting can be a culprit in stealing our peace. According to computer scientist Ramesh Sitaraman, few things “inspire universal frustration and ire” in internet users as waiting for a sluggish web browser to load. His research says that we’re willing to wait an average of two seconds for an online video to load. After five seconds, the abandonment rate is about twenty-five percent, and after ten seconds, half of the users desert their efforts. We’re certainly an impatient bunch!
James encouraged believers in Jesus to not abandon Him while they were waiting for His second coming. Christ’s return would motivate them to stand firm in the face of suffering and to love and honor one another (James 5:7–10). James used the example of the farmer to make his point. Like the farmer, who waited patiently for “autumn and spring rains” (v. 7) and for the land to yield its valuable crop, James encouraged believers to be patient under oppression until Jesus returned. And when He returned, He would right every wrong and bring shalom, peace.
Sometimes, we’re tempted to forsake Jesus while we wait for Him. But as we wait, let’s “keep watch” (Matthew 24:42), remain faithful (25:14–30), and live out His character and ways (Colossians 3:12). Though we don’t know when Jesus will return, let’s wait patiently for Him, as long as it takes.
By: Marvin Williams
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What’s hardest about waiting for Jesus’ return? How’s His return an incentive for living out His character and ways?
Jesus, I’ll wait for You. Though the world is dark and filled with pain, suffering, injustice, and uncertainty, I’ll wait for You. Though I don’t know the day or the time, I’ll wait for You.

boldstardex

Staff member

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS NOTHING NEW
March 07, 2022
“Jesus said to the people who believed in him, ‘you are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’” – John 8:31
Political correctness has become the dominant morality and ideology in America.

From college campuses to corporate boardrooms its influence is everywhere. What actually began with good intentions to protect and stand up for the marginalized and the discriminated has become oppressive and extreme – often causing more division in an already divided nation.

So, what are Christians to do? What does the Bible say about navigating this changing culture?

First of all – a culture of political correctness is nothing new. Jesus faced oppressive man-made rules and legalism from the Jewish religious leaders of His day. They also created, with good intentions to help people live godly lives, many overbearing man-made rules that only caused guilt, shame, and tremendous resentment among the people.

What is often referred to as the “PC police” today may look very different from the religious legalism of Jesus’ day – but really, they are the same: a man-made morality, created with good intentions, but leads people to oppressive and resented legalism.

In a world desperately searching for truth, Jesus reminds us that these contrived rules on morality will never get it right.

JESUS is the only truth.

So what does this mean for the follower of Jesus? Jesus is telling us: I am the truth. Put your faith in Me. Follow My teachings in the written Word of God (the Bible) and claim My power, the Holy Spirit’s power, to navigate right from wrong (my paraphrase).

In other words, when we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us in living God’s way, we begin to change. We begin to look more and more like Christ: in character, in mission, and in spirit. We won’t need to look to a man-made ‘politically correct’ code of conduct to determine what is right and acceptable.

And as our lives and character begin to reflect Christ, through His written Word, we will experience real freedom that no ‘politically correct’ rules and regulations could ever offer.

Written by Bryant Wright, Founder, RFTH

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

March 9
All Creatures Great and Small
Bible in a Year:

You, Lord, preserve both people and animals.

Psalm 36:6
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Psalm 36:5–10
Michelle Grant trained a baby beaver named Timber to return to the wild. When she took him for swims in a pond, he’d come back to her kayak to snuggle and rub noses. One morning Timber didn’t return. Michelle scoured the pond for six hours before giving up. Weeks later she found a beaver skull. Assuming it was Timber, she began to cry.
My soul ached for Michelle and Timber. I told myself, “Snap out of it. He’s just a large, aquatic rodent.” But the truth is, I cared—and so does God. His love reaches high to the heavens and down to the smallest creature, part of the creation He calls us to steward well (Genesis 1:28). He preserves “both people and animals” (Psalm 36:6), providing “food for the cattle and for the young ravens” (147:9).
One day Michelle was kayaking in a neighbor’s pond and—surprise—there was Timber! He’d found a beaver family and was helping them raise two kits. He surfaced beside Michelle’s kayak. She smiled, “You look well. You have a beautiful family.” He cooed, splashed his tail, and swam to his new mom.
I love happy endings, especially my own! Jesus promised that as His Father feeds the birds, so He will supply whatever we need (Matthew 6:25–26). Not one sparrow falls “to the ground outside your Father’s care. . . . So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows” (10:29–31).
By: Mike Wittmer
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What care do you need to give to your heavenly Father? What need of others might He want you to meet?
Father, I lift up my cares and worries to You.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

March 10
Revelation and Reassurance
Bible in a Year:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Philippians 4:6
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Philippians 4:1–7
Baby-gender reveals in 2019 were dramatic. In July, a video showed a car emitting blue smoke to indicate, “It’s a boy!” In September, a crop-duster plane in Texas dumped hundreds of gallons of pink water to announce, “It’s a girl!” There was another “reveal,” though, that uncovered significant things about the world these children will grow up in. At the conclusion of 2019, YouVersion revealed that the most shared, highlighted, and bookmarked verse of the year on its online and mobile Bible app was Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
That’s quite the revelation. People are anxious about many things these days—from the needs of our sons and daughters, to the myriad ways family and friends are divided, to natural catastrophes and wars. But in the middle of all these worries, the good news is that many people cling to a verse that says, “Do not be anxious about anything.” Furthermore, those same people encourage others as well as themselves to present every request to God “in every situation.” The mindset that doesn’t ignore but faces life’s anxieties is one of “thanksgiving.”
The verse that didn’t make “verse of the year” but follows it is—“And the peace of God . . . will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (v. 7). That’s quite the reassurance!
By: John Blase
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What are two or three situations you’re worried about? How might reflecting on the ways God’s peace has carried you in the past be helpful?
Jesus, some days and weeks and years feel overwhelming. Thank You for Your peace, which guards me yesterday, today, and forever.

boldstardex

Staff member

TO BE MORE LIKE CHRIST
March 10, 2022
“Daniel soon proved himself more capable than all the other administrators and princes. Because of his great ability, the king made plans to place him over the entire empire. Then the other administrators and princes began searching for some fault in the way Daniel was handling his affairs, but they couldn’t find anything to criticize. He was faithful and honest and always responsible.” – Daniel 6:3-4
The quality of our character grows in proportion to the time we spend in God’s presence and in His Word.

While Daniel couldn’t wait for his moments alone with God, others spent their time trying to find fault with him. But they couldn’t. Daniel was a man who spent quality time with God. His outward life was a direct reflection of the time he diligently spent in the presence of God. So it is with us.

It is impossible to spend quality time with God and not be changed.

Jesus exemplified this for us. He was a man of prayer who continually spent hours alone with God. Whether trudging into the wilderness at dawn or speedily boarding a boat, Jesus knew that, apart from His Father, He could do nothing.

In the same way, if we desire to live the life Christ has for us then we must do the same. As we continue to spend time in His Word, we cultivate the very character of Christ.

Jesus said it like this, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you…you shall bear much fruit.” (My paraphrase of John 15:1-8.)

My desire is to grow progressively in the likeness of Jesus. His presence and His Word are the only two ingredients that cause us to live as He did. The more of God’s influence we allow, the greater our character.

Let His presence and His Word be our greatest priority in this life.

Written by Bryant Wright, Founder RFTH

boldstardex

Staff member

MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN
March 13, 2022
“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.” – Matthew 25:14-15
What does it mean to be a steward?

A steward is another word for manager.

Now I realize the title manager is not quite as sexy as leader. (To be a bold leader sounds inspiring, while manager sounds a little mundane.)

But the fact is – Jesus describes Christians as managers whom God entrusts to care for what He has given.

To communicate this concept, Jesus told a parable. Three servants were given different amounts of money – referred to as talents. A talent was a large amount of gold, silver or copper weighing close to 75 pounds. In other words, a talent was a huge amount of wealth! So what happened? Each servant was given an amount of wealth to manage – based upon his individual abilities. Don’t miss this: Jesus was demonstrating that while we do not all have equal abilities, we all should have equal opportunities and responsibilities.

Time passed and the man returned to see what these servants had done with all they were entrusted. The first two servants doubled their wealth, earning the man’s equal praise and increased responsibility. The third servant, however, hid his talent out of fear, neither losing nor increasing the wealth. The man was unhappy with this third servant and took back what he had entrusted and gave it to the man with the most talents. He gave it to the one he knew would make the most of it.

What was Jesus teaching in this parable?

1. We are all created unique and unlike anyone else.
  2. Jesus knows our skills and entrusts us within those abilities.
  3. God doesn’t compare us to one another. He judges us equally, according to what we have done with all that He has entrusted to us.
In other words, God wants us to make the most of what we’re given, whether it’s money, abilities or opportunities. If we aren’t willing to do that, it will be taken away.

So how are you doing managing what God has entrusted to you?

boldstardex

Staff member

3 THINGS YOU MIGHT BE MISTAKING FOR LOVE
March 14, 2022
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:10
Ilove my children.

Ilove my wife.

But then again, I also love hot dogs and a good steak. I love to go to the movies, and I love to read fiction when it’s raining. When you stop and think about it, it’s pretty astounding the number of contexts and times we use the word “love.”

Is it possible that we might be mistaking some things for love that actually aren’t love?

Here are three examples:

1. Entertainment

We are in the habit of saying we “love” the things that entertain us. Things that make us laugh, or make us cry, or just capture our attention for a little while. In other words, we “love” that which inspires a feeling in us.

That’s not all bad, because loving does involve genuine affection. But a larger part of love is not based on temporary feelings, rather on decisions made over and over again seeking the good of another person over and above your own good. If our love is based only on the feeling we get from a person or thing, then that love is really only a sappy sense of sentimentality.

2. Usefulness

We might also regularly mistake love for usefulness. That is, we “love” that which serves us or meets some need in us. We “love” a person who makes us feel good, or “love” a person who brings us physical pleasure, or “love” a person who raises our own reputation because we are around them. There is love represented here, but in the end, it’s really just the love of ourselves.

When we mistake love for usefulness, we assign value to other image-bearers of God based on what they can bring to us. We want people around us who can increase our pleasure, increase our power, increase our money, or any other number of things.

The question at the heart of this mistaken view of “love” is this:

What can relating to this person get or do for me?

And so we objectify others, all for the sake of our own personal gain.

3. Affirmation

Finally, we might be mistaking love for affirmation. In this view, we think loving someone means always agreeing with them. So we love the people who always affirm all our life choices, and we put ourselves in the kind of relationships where we never confront or disagree with someone else.

Love is not the same thing as affirmation. Love lives in the sphere of truth, because when we love someone we are committed to seeking their good even if it means saying difficult things to them. This is what God does for us – He tells us the truth about ourselves even when we are unwilling or unable to see that truth on our own.

Love – or at least the word – is all around us. But in many cases, both in us and in the rest of the world, it’s simply affirmation, entertainment, or utility masquerading as true love.

If we want the truth about love, the only option for us is to return to the Source:

Love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 John 4:10).

What is love to you?

Do you know the Source of love?

Written by Michael Kelley, Guest Contributor

To read more of Michael’s writing, check out his daily blog,
Forward Progress http://michaelkelley.co/

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

March 16
Thanks, but No Thanks
Bible in a Year:

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.

2 Corinthians 6:14
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Ezra 4:1–5, 24
A Christian school for autistic children in India received a big donation from a corporation. After checking that there were no strings attached, they accepted the money. But later, the corporation requested to be represented on the school board. The school director returned the money. She refused to allow the values of the school to be compromised. She said, “It’s more important to do God’s work in God’s way.”
There are many reasons to decline help, and this is one of them. In the Bible we see another. When the exiled Jews returned to Jerusalem, King Cyrus commissioned them to rebuild the temple (Ezra 3). When their neighbors said, “Let us help you build because, like you, we seek your God” (4:2), the leaders of Israel declined. They concluded that by accepting the offer of help, the integrity of the temple rebuilding project might have been compromised and idolatry could have crept into their community since their neighbors also worshiped idols. The Israelites made the right decision, as their “neighbors” then did all they could to discourage the building.
With the help of the Holy Spirit and the counsel of wise believers in Jesus, we can develop discernment. We can also be confident to say no to friendly offers that may hide subtle spiritual dangers because God’s work done in His way will never lack His provision.
By: Poh Fang Chia
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What are the dangers of joining hands with those who would bring a conflict of interest to God’s work? How can you develop discernment?
Loving Father, You know my need. Help me to be wise and discerning in knowing when to partner with others.