SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
0:00
iTunesDownload MP3

April 28
Let Us Praise!
Bible in a Year:

May the nations be glad and sing for joy.

Psalm 67:4
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Today's Scripture & Insight:
Psalm 67
When the alarm on Shelley’s phone goes off every day at 3:16 in the afternoon, she takes a praise break. She thanks God and acknowledges His goodness. Although she communicates with God throughout the day, Shelley loves to take this break because it helps her celebrate her intimate relationship with Him.
Inspired by her joyful devotion, I decided to set a specific time each day to thank Christ for His sacrifice on the cross and to pray for those who have yet to be saved. I wonder what it would be like if all believers in Jesus stopped to praise Him in their own way and pray for others every day.
The image of a beautiful wave of worship rolling to the ends of the earth resounds in the words of Psalm 67. The psalmist pleads for God’s grace, proclaiming his desire to make His name great in all the nations (vv. 1–2). He sings, “May the peoples praise you, God; may all the peoples praise you” (v. 3). He celebrates His sovereign rule and faithful guidance (v. 4). As a living testimony of God’s great love and abundant blessings, the psalmist leads God’s people into jubilant praise (vv. 5–6).
God’s continued faithfulness toward His beloved children inspires us to acknowledge Him. As we do, others can join us in trusting Him, revering Him, following Him, and acclaiming Him as Lord.
By: Xochitl Dixon

Reflect & Pray
When can you take a few minutes today to praise God? What do you have to be thankful for?
God, You are worthy of all our praise!

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 4
Eclipse
Bible in a Year:

I will restore David’s fallen shelter—I will repair its broken walls and restore its ruins—and will rebuild it as it used to be.

Amos 9:11
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Amos 8:9–12; 9:11–12
I was prepared with eye protection, an ideal viewing location, and homemade moon pie desserts. Along with millions of people in the US, my family watched the rare occurrence of a total solar eclipse—the moon covering the entire disk of the sun.
The eclipse caused an unusual darkness to come over the typically bright summer afternoon. Although for us this eclipse was a fun celebration and a reminder of God’s incredible power over creation (Psalm 135:6–7), throughout history darkness during the day has been seen as abnormal and foreboding (Exodus 10:21; Matthew 27:45), a sign that everything is not as it should be.
This is what darkness signified for Amos, a prophet during the time of the divided monarchy in ancient Israel. Amos warned the Northern Kingdom that destruction would come if they continued to turn away from God. As a sign, God would “make the sun go down at noon and darken the earth in broad daylight” (Amos 8:9).
But God’s ultimate desire and purpose was—and is—to make all things right. Even when the people were taken into exile, God promised to one day bring a remnant back to Jerusalem and “repair its broken walls and restore its ruins” (9:11).
Even when life is at its darkest, like Israel, we can find comfort in knowing God is at work to bring light and hope back—to all people (Acts 15:14–18).
By: Lisa M. Samra

Reflect & Pray
When was a time you chose to reject or disobey God? How did God provide rescue and bring light into your dark situation?
Jesus, as we read in Revelation 21:23, thank You that You shine brighter than the sun and turn back the darkness.
To learn more about the book of Amos, visit bit.ly/2YAfbqG.

boldstardex

Staff member
“However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme.” – 2 Samuel 12:14
PRAY FOR THOSE IN SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY
May 4, 2020
There is a story in the Bible where King David had committed a horrible succession of sins. When Nathan confronted David with his sins, David – and give him credit for this – finally confessed and sought the Lord’s forgiveness. God did forgive him, but serious consequences remained. The enemies of Israel began making fun of God. David’s actions had been so alien to the Lord’s teachings that he was causing God to be ridiculed. “After all,” they would say, “if this man of God who is supposed to be a good man that is your king, if he acts like this…guilty of adultery, murdering the woman’s husband, and then marrying the woman…hey – you are no different from us!”
All of us have been around ministries when a spiritual leader falls into sin, and we know the disillusionment within the church. But we also see the mocking outside the body of Christ. “He’s supposed to be a man of God! He’s no different from me or anybody else!” That is yet another negative consequence of sin in our lives.
So, pray for your spiritual leaders. Pray for your government leaders. Pray for all of those in authority over you, because their sins have terrible repercussions for the lives of many. Pray that they will do right and spare us all the disillusionment.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 6
Impossible Forgiveness
Bible in a Year:

Father, forgive them.

Luke 23:34
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Luke 23:32–43
Liberators found the following prayer crumpled among the remains of the Ravensbruck concentration camp where Nazis exterminated nearly 50,000 women: O Lord, remember not only the men and women of goodwill, but also those of ill will. But do not remember the suffering they have inflicted upon us. Remember the fruits we brought thanks to this suffering—our comradeship, our loyalty, our humility, the courage, the generosity, the greatness of heart which has grown out of this. And when they come to judgment, let all the fruits that we have borne be their forgiveness.
I can’t imagine the fear and pain inflicted on the terrorized woman who wrote this prayer. I can’t imagine what kind of inexplicable grace these words required of her. She did the unthinkable: she sought God’s forgiveness for her oppressors.
This prayer echoes Christ’s prayer. After being wrongly accused, mocked, beaten, and humiliated before the people, Jesus was “crucified . . . along with [two] criminals” (Luke 23:33). Hanging, with mutilated body and gasping for breath, from a rough-hewn cross, I would expect Jesus to pronounce judgment on His tormentors, to seek retribution or divine justice. However, Jesus uttered a prayer contradicting every human impulse: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (v. 34).
The forgiveness Jesus offers seems impossible, but He offers it to us. In His divine grace, impossible forgiveness spills free.
By: Winn Collier

Reflect & Pray
How has God’s impossible forgiveness changed you? How can we help others experience true forgiveness in Him?
God, Your forgiveness is a strange, impossible thing. In our pain, it’s hard to imagine this possibility. Help us. Teach us Your love.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 12
Open Arms
Bible in a Year:

In my distress I called to the Lord . . . . My cry came to his ears.

2 Samuel 22:7
COMMENT
JOURNAL
2 Samuel 22:1–7, 17–20
Saydee and his family have an “open arms and open home” philosophy. People are always welcome in their home, “especially those who are in distress,” he says. That’s the kind of household he had growing up in Liberia with his nine siblings. Their parents always welcomed others into their family. He says, “We grew up as a community. We loved one another. Everybody was responsible for everybody. My dad taught us to love each other, care for each other, protect each other.”
When King David was in need, he found this type of loving care in God. Second Samuel 22 (and Psalm 18) records his song of praise to God for the ways He had been a refuge for him throughout his life. He recalled, “In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears” (2 Samuel 22:7). God had delivered him from his enemies, including King Saul, many times. He praised God for being his fortress and deliverer in whom he took refuge (vv. 2–3).
While our distresses may be small in comparison to David’s, God welcomes us to run to Him to find the shelter we long for. His arms are always open. Therefore we “sing the praises of [His] name” (v. 50).
By: Anne Cetas

boldstardex

Staff member
“For this reason also, we have not ceased to pray for you.” – Colossians 1:9
HOW TO PRAY FOR YOUR KIDS
May 14, 2020
Do you pray for your children? God has given us our children on loan for us to raise in His image. It’s almost impossible to do that without praying for them.
For many years, my wife prayed a prayer from scripture over our three sons. Here are some ideas for you to try:
  1. Pray that they will increase in the knowledge of God – Most parents’ greatest hope for their children is that they will be happy, but a fulfilled life comes from knowing God. Without God, there is a nagging emptiness. Lots of people know about God, but knowing Him personally is different. We all know a lot about our nation’s President, but only a few know him personally.
  2. Pray that they live a worthy life – Pray that their lives have an impact for good and that they will be people of trustworthy character.
  3. Pray that they’re strengthened in God’s power – The world and evil influences will seek to pull our children down. They need God’s power to be strong, resist temptation, and do the right thing.
  4. Thank God for each child – They are unique creations of God.
We all need to pray for our children. If you’ve never regularly prayed for your children, I hope these ideas act as a starting point.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
NEVER ALONE
May 15, 2020
Imagine – the greatest leader that you’ve ever known has just died. This was the leader who was responsible for the liberation of your nation – a moment for the history books. He was also your spiritual and professional mentor, a man of influence, and great respect. Now that he’s gone, everyone is looking to you. Can you feel the weight of this new responsibility, the intense pressure weighing heavy on your shoulders?
After Moses died, all eyes turned towards Joshua. Even though Joshua had been groomed for this very moment – this is an intimidating promotion. This is the moment when God spoke directly to the heart of Joshua’s insecurities: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Isn’t it amazing that when God nudges Joshua outside his comfort zone, He doesn’t send him alone. God knows that Joshua is feeling overwhelmed, doubting himself, and probably questioning if he’s the right guy for the job. So, God reminds him of a promise: No matter where he goes, God is right there. No matter what happens, God is right there.
We’ve all experienced fear, insecurity, and doubt. Think back to the first day of a new job. What about before the launch of a new product campaign? We’ve even over analyzed, second-guessed, and picked apart a relationship a time or two because of our own self-doubts.
What does it look like in your life? Whenever these emotions tempt you to second guess where God is leading – silence them with the same promise God gave to Joshua. You are not alone. God will never leave you. He will never give up on you. You can trust Him as you follow where He leads.
The same promise that God offered to Joshua is offered to every follower of Jesus. If you’ve never experienced the peace and confidence that comes from knowing you’re not alone, then you can today. This promise is available to everyone – you need only to ask.

Adapted from a sermon by Senior Pastor George Wright,
Shandon Baptist Church, SC

boldstardex

Staff member
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
NEVER ALONE
May 15, 2020
Imagine – the greatest leader that you’ve ever known has just died. This was the leader who was responsible for the liberation of your nation – a moment for the history books. He was also your spiritual and professional mentor, a man of influence, and great respect. Now that he’s gone, everyone is looking to you. Can you feel the weight of this new responsibility, the intense pressure weighing heavy on your shoulders?
After Moses died, all eyes turned towards Joshua. Even though Joshua had been groomed for this very moment – this is an intimidating promotion. This is the moment when God spoke directly to the heart of Joshua’s insecurities: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Isn’t it amazing that when God nudges Joshua outside his comfort zone, He doesn’t send him alone. God knows that Joshua is feeling overwhelmed, doubting himself, and probably questioning if he’s the right guy for the job. So, God reminds him of a promise: No matter where he goes, God is right there. No matter what happens, God is right there.
We’ve all experienced fear, insecurity, and doubt. Think back to the first day of a new job. What about before the launch of a new product campaign? We’ve even over analyzed, second-guessed, and picked apart a relationship a time or two because of our own self-doubts.
What does it look like in your life? Whenever these emotions tempt you to second guess where God is leading – silence them with the same promise God gave to Joshua. You are not alone. God will never leave you. He will never give up on you. You can trust Him as you follow where He leads.
The same promise that God offered to Joshua is offered to every follower of Jesus. If you’ve never experienced the peace and confidence that comes from knowing you’re not alone, then you can today. This promise is available to everyone – you need only to ask.

Adapted from a sermon by Senior Pastor George Wright,
Shandon Baptist Church, SC

boldstardex

Staff member
“But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.” – James 1:22
THE MAN IN THE MIRROR
May 17, 2020
In churches, you will find two types of people: Hearers and Doers. The apostle James, the brother of Jesus, explained that “hearers” only listen and know God’s Word, but never live it out, while “doers” listen, know, and obey. This is the distinction James communicates: It’s not “either-or”, but listen “and” obey.
Hearers, James warns, are living blind and deceived to the truth. That’s a harsh statement, but there are a lot of people – many church members – who if they were to die today, think they are going to heaven because they believe the right things about Jesus, but would wake up in hell separated from God. I would venture to say the percentages would absolutely shock us.
Why is that? James explains in chapter 1 verse 23: “For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; and once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he is.”
In other words, the Word of God is like a mirror that reveals our true reflection (character), revealing the areas in our lives that need improvement. This is conviction. However, rather than recognize and ask God to help us take steps to transform these areas brought to light by the mirror of God’s Word, the “hearers” simply walk away none the wiser.
Can you relate? Have you ever been reading Scripture and come across a verse or passage that convicts you of an area in your life or highlights an issue in a relationship that you know needs to be addressed? Sometimes, a worship experience can also bring to mind an area of life that you need to get right with God.
The Word of God, when studied intently, when meditated on and personalized, allows the perfect law of God to highlight areas in our lives that need to change. It convicts us. When we truly realize that we’ve fallen short, we won’t easily forget. God’s Word will be imprinted on our hearts in such a way to help us grow and transform into the person and character of Jesus Christ.
So, are you a “hearer” or “doer” when it comes to God’s Word?

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 19
Where Choices Lead
Bible in a Year:

The Lord watches over the way of the righteous.

Psalm 1:6
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Psalm 1
With no cell service and no trail map, we had just our memory of a fixed map at the trailhead to guide us. More than an hour later, we finally emerged from the woods into the parking lot. Having missed the turn-off that would have made for a half-mile hike, we took a much longer trek.
Life can be like that: we have to ask not simply if something is right or wrong, but where it will lead. Psalm 1 compares two ways of living—that of the righteous (those who love God) and that of the wicked (the enemies of those who love God). The righteous flourish like a tree, but the wicked blow away like chaff (vv. 3–4). This psalm reveals what flourishing really looks like. The person who lives it out is dependent on God for renewal and life.
So how do we become that kind of person? Among other things, Psalm 1 urges us to disengage from destructive relationships and unhealthy habits and to delight in God’s instruction (v. 2). Ultimately, the reason for our flourishing is God’s attentiveness to us: “The Lord watches over the way of the righteous” (v. 6).
Commit your way to God, let Him redirect you from old patterns that lead to nowhere, and allow the Scriptures to be the river that nourishes the root system of your heart.
By: Glenn Packiam
Sign in to track your progress!
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What friendships or habits do you need to make a break from? How can you create more time in your schedule to read the Bible?
Dear Jesus, give me the grace to turn away from the things leading me down the wrong path. Lead me to the river of Your presence, and nourish me with the Scriptures. Make my life faithful and fruitful for Your honor.

boldstardex

Staff member
“But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” – 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10
WHEN STRENGTH APPEARS WEAK
May 20, 2020
Weakness is a big weakness in our society. No one wants to appear weak, to be the pushover, to admit or reveal their flaws. From physical strength to sharp business acumen, there’s something about being strong, confident, and in control that exudes success. So, how can the Apostle Paul be “content with weaknesses?” How can he gladly brag about his faults? If anything, we are taught to hide our flaws. So, this just doesn’t make sense.
The Bible defines the call to follow Jesus as living by faith (Ephesians 2: 8-9). This means choosing to surrender control. It means acknowledging a need for someone else. It means admitting that we cannot do it alone. Living by faith means trusting in someone other than ourselves.
Some might be thinking: This sounds an awful lot like weakness, not courage. After all, the bravest people don’t need anyone, right? Not according to God’s word. The Bible says that living by faith demands a strength far greater than our own. Think about it. Doesn’t it take an incredible amount of faith to admit that you need help, that you can’t do it alone?
In Joshua 1:9, God challenges Joshua to “be strong and courageous” in the face of fear and self-doubt. In this case, God’s not talking about becoming physically stronger and pushing himself to be braver than everyone else. To be strong and courageous is to acknowledge his need for God and to place his faith in God’s strength. The same is true for us. In the end, it was never supposed to be about our individual strengths but choosing to trust in God’s. It’s about trusting in a God-given strength even when we feel weak.
Adapted from a sermon by Senior Pastor George Wright, Shandon Baptist Church, SC

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In

SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 23
Keepers of the Light
Bible in a Year:

For God . . . made his light shine in our hearts.

2 Corinthians 4:6
COMMENT
JOURNAL
John 8:12–16
They call them “Keepers of the Light.”
At the lighthouse on the cape of Hatteras Island just off the North Carolina coast of the United States, there’s a memorial to those who’ve tended the light stations there since 1803. Shortly after the existing structure was moved inland because of shoreline erosion, the names of the keepers were etched on the old foundation stones and arranged into an amphitheater shape facing the new site. That way—as a placard explains—today’s visitors can follow in the historical keepers’ footsteps and “watch over” the lighthouse as well.
Jesus is the ultimate light-giver. He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12). That’s a radical thing for anyone to claim. But Jesus said it to affirm His relationship with His heavenly Father, the Creator of light and life who sent Him.
When we look to Jesus for salvation and follow His teaching, we’re restored in relationship with God, and He gives us new power and purpose. His transforming life and love—“the light of all mankind” (1:4)—shines in us and through us and out to a dark and sometimes dangerous world.
As believers in Jesus, we become “keepers of the light.” May others see His light shine from us and discover the life and hope He alone can give!
By: James Banks
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
In what practical ways can you shine Jesus’ light? Where is God calling you to be obedient to Him today?
Jesus, I praise You for Your light and love. Help me to shine for You.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 26
Sweeter Than Honey
Bible in a Year:

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 16:24
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Proverbs 16:1–2, 21–24
His topic was racial tension. Yet the speaker remained calm and collected. Standing on stage before a large audience, he spoke boldly—but with grace, humility, kindness, and even humor. Soon the tense audience visibly relaxed, laughing along with the speaker about the dilemma they all faced: how to resolve their hot issue, but cool down their feelings and words. Yes, how to tackle a sour topic with sweet grace.
King Solomon advised this same approach for all of us: “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones” (Proverbs 16:24). In this way, “The hearts of the wise make . . . their lips promote instruction” (v. 23).
Why would a powerful king like Solomon devote time to addressing how we speak? Because words can destroy. During Solomon’s time, kings relied on messengers for information about their nations, and calm and reliable messengers were highly valued. They used prudent words and reasoned tongues, not overreacting or speaking harshly, no matter the issue.
We all can benefit by gracing our opinions and thoughts with godly and prudent sweetness. In Solomon’s words, “To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue” (v. 1).
By: Patricia Raybon
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What is your way of speaking when talking about a hot and divisive topic? When you allow God’s Spirit to sweeten your tongue, what changes in your words?
Our holy God, when we speak on hard topics, soften our hearts and words with Your sweet Spirit.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 28
Good Measure
Bible in a Year:

Give, and it will be given to you.

Luke 6:38
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Luke 6:32–38
At a gas station one day, Staci encountered a woman who had left home without her bank card. Stranded with her baby, she was asking passersby for help. Although unemployed at the time, Staci spent $15 to put gas in the stranger’s tank. Days later, Staci came home to find a gift basket of children’s toys and other presents waiting on her porch. Friends of the stranger had reciprocated Staci’s kindness and converted her $15 blessing into a memorable Christmas for her family.
This heartwarming story illustrates the point Jesus made when he said, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke 6:38).
It can be tempting to hear this and focus on what we get out of giving, but doing so would miss the point. Jesus preceded that statement with this one: “Love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked” (v. 35).
We don’t give to get things; we give because God delights in our generosity. Our love for others reflects His loving heart toward us.
By: Remi Oyedele
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
In what ways have you experienced God’s generosity in your life? How can you extend generosity to others?
Gracious Father, help me to give generously to others because You’ve been so generous to me.

boldstardex

Staff member
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”– John 15:5
OUR RULE IN FRUIT-BEARING
May 28, 2020
As we discussed yesterday, God is the one who brings about spiritual fruit in our lives; our role is to abide in Christ. A branch unattached to the vine is unable to bear fruit. Likewise, apart from Christ, we cannot become more like Him.
To abide in Christ means to stay close to Him or to dwell with Him. This can take various forms: spending time in prayer and Bible study, serving in your local church, living a life of obedience to Christ’s commands, and sharing your faith with others, to name a few. When we abide in Christ, our lives are sure to reflect Him.
Rightfully understanding our role to abide takes all of the pressure off of us! Often, people think we have to earn God’s favor or salvation: if we are good, God will accept us. Jesus reverses the order! Instead, we are good because He has accepted us. The more we spend time with Jesus, the more we begin to look like Him. Fruit-bearing is a byproduct of our relationship with God.
What happens in our lives when we abide in Christ? First, our prayer lives are transformed. We begin to pray more God-centered prayers. Second, our love for God and neighbor increases. From this, we see people coming to Christ through our witness and ministry. We know God more, and therefore we love our neighbors more. Third, God deepens our joy. We see beyond our present trials and suffering and look to eternity. Last but not least, when we abide in Christ, God is glorified.
The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus make it possible for us to abide in Him. God’s role is to bring about spiritual fruit; our role is simply to remain in Him. Take some time today to consider your part in fruit-bearing. Do you find yourself attempting to take God’s role? Are you trying to earn his favor by doing good things? If so, remember the Gospel. You cannot save yourself; only God is capable of redeeming you.
Think about different ways to abide in Christ. Are you spending time in prayer and Bible study? Are you living a life of worship and obedience? How are you loving God and neighbor? When we abide in Christ and trust Him, God will bring about great fruit in our lives.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

May 30
Do Whatever
Bible in a Year:

For without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

Ecclesiastes 2:25
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Ecclesiastes 2:17–25
In a recent film, a self-proclaimed “genius” rants to the camera about the world’s “horror, corruption, ignorance, and poverty,” declaring life to be godless and absurd. While such thinking isn’t unusual in many modern film scripts, what’s interesting is where it leads. In the end, the lead character turns to the audience and implores us to do whatever it takes to find a little happiness. For him, this includes leaving traditional morality behind.
But will “do whatever” work? Facing his own despair at life’s horrors, the Old Testament writer of Ecclesiastes gave it a try long ago, searching for happiness through pleasure (Ecclesiastes 2:1, 10), grand work projects (vv. 4–6), riches (vv. 7–9), and philosophical inquiry (vv. 12–16). And his assessment? “All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind” (v. 17). None of these things is immune to death, disaster, or injustice (5:13–17).
Only one thing brings the writer of Ecclesiastes back from despair. Despite life’s trials, we can find fulfillment when God is part of our living and working: “for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?” (2:25). Life will at times feel meaningless, but “remember your Creator” (12:1). Don’t exhaust yourself trying to figure life out, but “fear God and keep his commandments” (v. 13).
Without God as our center, life’s pleasures and sorrows lead only to disillusionment.
By: Sheridan Voysey
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
How much do you seek happiness through things that won’t last? Since the writer of Ecclesiastes didn’t know the hope of resurrection, how would you consider his search in light of Romans 8:11, 18–25?
God, today I place You anew at the center of my living, working, joys, and disappointments, for without You nothing will satisfy or make sense.

boldstardex

Staff member
Needing His Leading
Bible in a Year:

From the ends of the earth I call to you.

Psalm 61:2
COMMENT
JOURNAL
Psalm 61
Uncle Zaki was more than a friend to scholar Kenneth Bailey; he was his trusted guide on challenging excursions into the vast Sahara. By following Uncle Zaki, Bailey says that he and his team were demonstrating their complete trust in him. In essence, they were affirming, “We don’t know the way to where we are going, and if you get us lost we will all die. We have placed our total trust in your leadership.”
In a time of great weariness and heartache, David looked beyond any human guide, seeking direction from the God he served. In Psalm 61:2 we read, “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” He longed for the safety and relief of being ushered afresh into God’s presence (vv. 3–4).
God’s guidance in life is desperately needed for people the Scriptures describe as sheep that have “gone astray” (Isaiah 53:6). Left to ourselves, we would be hopelessly lost in the desert of a broken world.
But we are not left to ourselves! We have a Shepherd who leads us “beside quiet waters,” refreshes our souls, and guides us (Psalm 23:2–3).
Where do you need His leading today? Call on Him. He will never leave you.
By: Bill Crowder
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What was it like when you felt lost? How can you begin to trust God’s desire to guide you like a shepherd in those times of seeking?
Loving Father, thank You for being my Shepherd and Guide. Help me to trust You and rest in Your wisdom, allowing Your Spirit to guide me through the challenging moments of life.
Listen to Psalm 23: A Psalm of a Good Shepherd at discovertheword.org/series/a-psalm-of-a-good-shepherd.

boldstardex

Staff member
“Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.” – 1 John 4:20
RACISM IS ALWAYS EVIL
June 2, 2020
A few years ago, I decided to do a 24 hours fast from all things news. So, you can imagine my shock when I turned on the TV only to be bombarded with images of evil, violence, hatred, and racism from the alt-right protests in Charlottesville, VA. Immediately, memories of the 1960s came to mind. And then in May of 2020 with the murder of Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd setting off looting and violence amidst nationwide protests, we realize that systemic racism is still a huge part of our culture. What we’ve seen through these murders and the violent response has been so distressing.
Will this hatred, polarization, and division ever end? In earthly kingdoms, it will not. Only when Christ returns will there finally be true justice and peace for every race, tribe, tongue, and person. At long last, there will be harmony among mankind. What a glorious day that will be!
In the meantime, how do we as Christians respond to the blatant hatred and racism in our nation?
The first step is asking God to identify any pride and prejudices, big or small, in our own hearts. Why? Because racism is rooted in pride. And the danger with pride is just how quickly it can take root in our lives and without warning, turn into jealousy, bitterness, prejudice, and even racism.
The apostle John put it simply: “Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar.” In order to be a part of the solution, we need to ask that God align our hearts and minds with HIS. In a world filled with hate and anger, pray that God’s love will overcome the evil that is racism. Following and loving Jesus is the best place to start.

boldstardex

Staff member
Logo
Love God. Love Others.
Sign In
SUPPORT

Today's Devotional

BOOKMARK
iTunesDownload MP3

June 4
My Father’s Child
Bible in a Year:

Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.

John 14:9
COMMENT
JOURNAL
John 14:8–14
They looked down at the faded photograph, then up at me, then over at my father, then back at me, then back at my father. Their eyes were as wide as the proverbial saucers. “Dad, you look just like Papa when he was young!” My father and I grinned because this was something we’d known for a long time, but it wasn’t until recently that my children came to the same realization. While my father and I are different people, in a very real sense to see me is to see my father as a younger man: tall, lanky frame; full head of dark hair; prominent nose; and rather large ears. No, I am not my father, but I am most definitely my father’s son.
A follower of Jesus named Philip once asked, “Lord, show us the Father” (John 14:8). And while it wasn’t the first time Jesus had indicated as much, His response was still cause for pause: “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (v. 9). Unlike the physical resemblances between my father and me, what Jesus says here is revolutionary: “Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?” (v. 10). His very essence and character were the same as His Father’s.
In that moment Jesus was being straightforward with His beloved disciples and us: If you want to know what God is like, look at Me.
By: John Blase
SIGN IN

Reflect & Pray
What are some of the characteristics of Jesus (and the Father) that resonate strongly with you, and why? How has He been molding your character?
Jesus, when things seem overwhelming, remind me that to see You is to see the Father. Help me keep my eyes fixed on You.

boldstardex

Staff member
“You must multiply yourselves through others. You cannot do the job alone.” – George B. Wright, Sr.
Dad’s POWER PACKED Phrase #6
June 4, 2020
One of the greatest lessons of leadership is found in the story of one of history’s greatest leaders – Moses.
Moses often dealt with seemingly never-ending lines of people wanting to see him. Seeing this day after day, Moses’ father-in-law, Jethro, offered him some unsolicited, but incredibly valuable advice. “This isn’t good,” Jethro said to Moses. “Not only will you eventually burn out, but the people will become increasingly frustrated” (my paraphrase). That’s when he taught Moses about delegation in leadership – a valuable key to success for any leader.
Thankfully, Moses was humble enough to listen to his father in law’s advice and he began choosing leaders according to their abilities. He trained them on how to respond to the needs of the people, placed them in positions of authority, and gave them the responsibility to get the job done. The toughest issues, Moses told his team, to bring to him. This was a turning point in Moses’ leadership. You can read the full story in Exodus 18:13-27. It really is one of the greatest leadership stories.
“You must multiply yourselves through others. You cannot do the job alone.”
Of course, there was none who better exemplified this sentiment than Jesus Christ. Jesus chose His twelve disciples, teaching them, demonstrating how to live, and finally, commissioning to go into the world in His name. And sure enough, those twelve men changed the world. If you’re looking for a leadership example, look to Jesus and how He led through delegation.